Apple Strudel Oatmeal Breakfast!
One thing I love to do in the morning is start my day off right. With a healthy breakfast full of protein and fiber. A bowl of oatmeal is my "go to" breakfast.
It will stabilize your blood sugar and lower your risk of diabetes. It removes your bad cholesterol without removing your good cholesterol. It contains lignans which help to fight heart disease and cancer.
It is a low calorie breakfast that really fills you up to help curb those cravings throughout your day. 1/2 a cup of old fashioned oats are only 150 calories.
All oatmeal is not created equal. Steel cut oats are the best for you. Steel cut oats are bigger grains which mean that they are less processed and retain more nutrients. Because they are bigger they digest slower and keeps you full longer, however they also take longer to cook too. It takes about 30-40 minutes to cook on your stove top, but well worth it.
But a bowl of plain oatmeal is a bit bland for my taste. Thats why I keep looking for ways to spice up my morning bowl with scrumptious recipes like this one.
3 cups water
1 cup old fashioned oats
(or you can prepare your steel cut oats)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I love cinnamon, so I used 1 teaspoon)
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 apple diced
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
a pinch of salt
Bring the water to a boil. Mix all ingredients in and cook for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can add milk to your bowl if you like your oatmeal extra creamy.
*Tip: Adding cinnamon gives you more benefits:
1. Eating 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon per day can lower your bad cholesterol or LDL.
2. It may treat type 2 diabetes by lowering your insulin level.
3. It may help fight cancer cells.
4. It has an anti- clotting affect on your blood.
5. Honey and cinnamon together help to relieve the pains of arthritis.
6. Cinnamon inhibits the growth of bacteria and food spoilage which makes it a natural preserve.
7. Just by smelling cinnamon helps boost cognitive function and memory.
8. It helps to relieve headaches and migraines.
9. Tastes great!