Monday, April 18, 2011
Baby's first healthy birthday cake recipe
*Everything in Red is how I tailored it for us.
Baby's First Birthday Cake (Carrot Cake)
2 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots * I did not add this
2 1/2 cups apple juice concentrate (you may use slightly less) *I used pure organic carrot juice instead.
1 1/2 cups raisins * I did not add this
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites *I did not add this
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup wheat germ * I did not have this in my kitchen so this was left out as well.
2 Tbsp low sodium baking powder
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon *I added 1 1/2 Tbsp instead.
Prep: Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two 9 inch square cake pans with waxed paper and spray the paper with vegetable spray/shortening. *Mine were obviously cupcakes so I used cupcake liners in a cupcake pan.
1. Combine the carrots with 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the juice concentrate in a medium size saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 15 to 20 mins. Puree in a blender of food processor until smooth.
3. Add the raisins and process until finely chopped. Let mixture cool.
4. Combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 1/4 cups juice concentrate, the oil, eggs, egg whites, and vanilla; beat just until well mixed. Fold in the carrot puree and applesauce. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.
5. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 mins. Cool briefly in the pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely. *After 30 minutes I checked the cupcakes myself using a toothpick. They were perfect at that time.
6. When cool, frost with Cream Cheese Frosting below or sprinkle a wee bit of powdered sugar if desired. *I used no frosting, however plain Greek yogurt would be healthy and yummy too.
*Please consult your child's pediatrician before giving anything to your baby.